What is Self-Storage?
Self-service storage (commonly known as self-storage) is a service provided to consumers and businesses that allows them to store their items at a facility in a room as small as a closest to as large as a garage and sometimes larger than that. Self-storage is a great way to store your property without having to take up space in your home or office.
How do I decide which storage size is the best?
We offer a wide range of sizes to accommodate your needs. Sizes range from 5x5 or 25 square feet, to 10x30 or 300 square feet. We also offer 1,000+ sq. ft. warehouse size units as well. Determining the right size is easy with the help of the chart below and the help of our staff who are trained to assist you in this process. It is always best to stop by the facility to look at some different sizes.
The following chart may help. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us by email or phone.
• 5x5 = Boxes, bikes, small items
• 5x10 = Couch, chair, chest of drawers, mattress, plus small boxes and items
• 10x10 = 1 bedroom apartment without appliances, plus small boxes and items
• 10x15 = 2 bedroom apartment without appliances, plus small boxes and items
• 10x20 = 2 bedroom house with appliances, plus small boxes and items
• 10x25 = 3 bedroom house without appliances, plus small boxes and items
• 10x30 = 3 bedroom house with appliances, plus miscellaneous items and cartons
What is a climate controlled storage unit?
Climate Controlled Storage is the process of controlling the internal temperature (not humidity controlled) of the storage facility. The primary benefit of climate controlled self-storage is you don’t have to worry about extreme hot or cold temperatures damaging your items while being stored. Secure Storage keeps its climate controlled storage facility between 63 and 78 degrees. See more information on climate controlled storage at the end of this section.
What is the difference between an indoor and outdoor storage unit?
An outdoor unit is most often a drive-up unit, located on the first floor of a facility that gives you the ability to load your belongings directly from a vehicle or truck. An inside unit is within a property building and will require you to go inside to access your unit.
What is a roll-up door?
Roll-up doors are the most common door in self-storage. They are accessed by sliding a latch and lifting the door upward, similar to the motion of a garage door. Roll-up doors allow you to maximize the usage of your space.
When can I access my storage unit?
Secure Storage offers 24 hour access 365 days a year for our individual units.
What is a computerized entry system?
This is a modernized security system used to limit access to the facility. Each customer gets his or her own unique access code which allows him or her to enter and exit the property.
Do I need my own locks?
No. Secure Storage provides approved cut-proof locks that tie into our alarm system on our outdoor units. No hanging or disc locks are used at Secure Storage.
Is a deposit required?
Yes. A REFUNDABLE deposit of $20.00 is required at the time the lease agreement is signed. The deposit covers one (1) lock and two (2) keys that are provided by Secure Storage.
What forms of payment does Secure Storage accept?
Secure Storage accepts cash, checks, money orders, debit and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express).
How can I make a payment?
There are a few ways you can pay your monthly storage rent. You can call Secure Storage during business hours to make a payment by phone with a debit or credit card, you can mail a check or money order or you can visit our facility to make payment (we have a “Drop Box” outside of our office door to drop off checks and money orders after office hours). We also offer an automatic payment plan which can be explained at move-in.
Do you offer moving services?
No, Secure Storage is a self-storage provider and cannot provide help moving your belongings. However, we can recommend some local moving companies that previous customers have used.
Does Secure Storage offer or rent moving trucks?
Secure Storage is partnered with U-Haul and offers their trucks for rent (no trailers). Contact U-Haul reservations at: 800-468-4285 to reserve one today.
When does Secure Storage conduct auctions at its storage facilities?
Secure Storage conducts auctions on an as needed basis (usually 4 times a year). You can visit auctionzip.com or craigslist.com to get the latest times and dates of auctions. We reserve the right to cancel all auctions without prior notice.
Are hand carts/dollies provided for moving in/out?
Yes. Our climate control building customers have 24/7 access to carts/dollies. Our equipment is not to be taken off facility grounds. Please contact us for details.
What kind of packing and moving supplies do you offer?
We offer boxes, tape, bubble wrap, furniture/moving pads, and much, much more. See our complete list on the moving and packing supplies section of our website, or e-mail/call us with any questions.
Do you offer discounts?
Yes. We offer a 10% discount on packing supplies to our tenants.
Do you offer RV/boat/car/motorcycle parking?
Secure Storage offers a limited amount of parking for RVs, boats, cars and motorcycles. See our vehicle parking section on our website or call for pricing and availability.
What should I do if I forgot my access code or lost the key to my lock?
You should contact the office during business hours to let them know and to discuss what can be done.
Can I change my storage unit to a different size after I have already moved in?
If the unit size you want is available, then yes you can move into another unit. The facility manager will be able to assist you in that transition.
Do you have electrical outlets in your units?
Our standard units (as well as most modern storage facilities) do not have access to electrical power.
Do you have pest control?
Yes. Our facility hires SafeCare who sprays quarterly for insects and maintains bait stations for rodents.
How long do I have to rent my storage unit?
Secure Storage rents storage units on a month-to-month basis, with no long-term contracts and no commitments. With Secure Storage you only rent your storage space for as long as you need it. We prorate rent for all customers at move-in and move-out so you are not paying for days you are not storing.
How much notice must be given when I move out?
The standard notice for Secure Storage is a 15-day written notice. Please refer to your rental agreement or contact us for more details.
How far in advance can I reserve a storage unit?
Secure Storage allows customers to reserve a storage unit up to 3 days in advance without a reservation fee.
How does the billing cycle work when renting a storage unit?
Secure Storage prorates rent for all customers at move-in and move-out so you are not paying for days you are not storing which makes the billing cycle for all customers due on the 1st day of each month.
What information is required when renting a storage unit?
To rent a storage unit at Secure Storage, you’ll need to be 18 years of age or older and be able to provide a valid state or government issued I.D., a valid physical address and an emergency contact.
Do I need to have insurance when I rent at Secure Storage?
It is recommended for all customers of Secure Storage to carry insurance on their property. This is a standard practice in the self-storage industry and is used to protect you and your belongings. If you do not have an insurance policy that covers your items, we offer equivalent protection via Bader Insurance.
Is Climate Controlled Storage Right for You?
Some of your items are valuable, one of a kind or environmentally sensitive and would benefit from climate controlled storage. Climate Controlled storage units keep items in a constant environment (temperatures between 63°F and 78°F). Below are some questions to ask yourself.
Does the temperature where you are currently storing items drop below 32 degrees or rise above 90 degrees Fahrenheit? Y/N
Is the storage facility in a high-humidity climate?
(Increased risk of pests, rust and corrosion, as well as mold and mildew). Y/N
Do any of your possessions have high monetary or sentimental value? Y/N
Are you storing items for a long period of time? Y/N
Are you unsure of how long you will need storage? Y/N
Will you need to visit the unit frequently and/or will you need comfortable conditions? Y/N
Based on your answers:
You may own things of great monetary value or possess family heirlooms or other items of sentimental value, which are irreplaceable. You may need the conditions to be comfortable for visits to the storage unit. Selecting a climate controlled storage unit can help you protect the belongings that mean the most to you, some examples include the following (please refer to the complete list below):
• Photos, Books
• Family Heirlooms
There are many benefits in selecting climate controlled over basic outdoor storage. Due to the extra costs, there are several factors to consider when deciding whether climate controlled storage fits your needs. We’re here if you need additional help determining what your needs are.
Once you've decided on climate controlled storage, below you will find a checklist to help you prepare for packing and moving into your storage unit.
• Make a list of all items you will be storing, noting which items you will need to access most readily.
• Categorize your items based on kinds − glass, music and movies, etc.
• Measure your large items.
• Schedule transportation (contact Secure Storage to get information for one of our recommended local moving companies).
• Buy or gather packing materials such as boxes and containers.
• Create labels based on your list.
• Collect blankets, newspaper and bubble wrap to protect items.
• Using your measurements, create a rough diagram of the unit, allowing for extra space for you to move around and for ventilation. Plan to place items you will need future access to at the front of the unit.
• Pack boxes efficiently with little wiggle room to maximize available space, prevent damage during moves and minimize room for dust, pests and mold to move in.
• Place like items together.
• Keep all pieces together. For example, place hardware in baggies and tape to the disassembled furniture.
• Make sure delicate items are in closed boxes or covered containers.
• Stick labels to all boxes and bags.
• Organize the unit based on your diagram.
• Make sure temperature-sensitive items have enough clearance for air to circulate.
• Raise furniture and important items off the floor.
• Keep the list of stored items somewhere safe for quick and easy reference.
• Contact the site staff with questions or for additional information.
Some storage items require extreme care. That's why Secure Storage offers climate controlled storage units. Learn how to safely store your old photos and family heirlooms without losing their value. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, consider the value of a climate controlled storage unit.
• Artwork (paintings, drawings, posters, etc.)
• Audio equipment
• Cameras and other photography equipment
Household and Personal Items
• Family heirlooms and history records
• Cassettes/VHS tapes
• Photos and photo albums
Effects of Extreme Temperature on Storage
• Cracking, tearing, breakage and warping of wood from expanding and contracting in extreme heat and cold.
• Yellowing and degradation of fabrics and papers from extreme temperatures.
• Mold and mildew stains on papers and fabrics caused by fungus-friendly temperatures.
• Rust, corrosion and weakening of metal which has been exposed to moisture, as well as very hot and very low temperatures.
• Ruin of electronics by dampness or extreme cold.
• Warping of items, as well as fading and degradation of sound and image quality.
• Damage to furniture and fabrics by rodents or insects.